PREM Directors Meeting
Opportunity for the PREM community to connect, reflect, learn, and build
2460 Eisenhower Ave
Alexandria, VA 22314
Linda Sapochak, Director, Division of Material Research, NSF
Welcome and Future of PREM- Current PREM solicitation
Dan Finotello, MRSEC Program Director and former PREM PD
Opportunities for partnerships
Eva Campo, PREM Program Director
Framework and goals of the meeting
Creativity Award Winner- Eva Campo (5 minutes)
“Best Practices in PREM, my experience”- Luis Echegoyen (20 minutes)
Current PREM solicitation
Lead discussion/moderate questions- Bill Brittain (35 minutes)
Break; refreshments and preparation for parallel sessions (students and faculty)
The outcome of the panels will be summarized in a 1-2-page document. A scribe, responsible for writing the document, will be chosen at the beginning of each panel.
Faculty Group Discussion Session I
Theme: Virtual Presence of PREM — MRSEC Education Directors: Kristin Dreyer (PSU) & Michelle McCombs (OSU)
- Status overview
- Review of PREM requirements for dissemination of scientific and diversity activities
- Best practices for a sustainable virtual presence?
- How would PIs/Directors organize a virtual presence to increase recruitment, retention, and degree attainment in STEM?
- What type of opportunities make PREM attractive to researchers?
- Which social media platform do you use the most?
- How would you like to communicate your work?
- How would this virtual presence help you disseminate your scientific work?
- How could virtual presence be tapped into to reap potential opportunities:
- to secure existing/capture new funding?
- to foment new collaborations?
- to help promotion/visibility?
Student Group Discussion Session I
Theme: Increased opportunities towards diversity through digital media — PREM LinkedIn Moderator: Divya Abhat (represented by Ashish Tonse, KZN Consulting)
- What type of opportunities make PREM attractive to students?
- How would students organize a social media presence to increase recruitment, retention, and degree attainment in STEM?
- How would these platforms help you disseminate your scientific work?
- How could social media be tapped into to reap potential opportunities:
- to go to graduate school?
- to be hired as interns?
- to join the job market?
- Are you a current LinkedIn user?
Faculty Group Discussion Session II
Theme: Opportunities at DMR Centers and Facilities — Presentations by Program Directors:
- Guebre Tessema, National Facilities and Instrumentation
- Charles Ying, Materials Innovation Platforms and STC
- Leonard Spinu, National Facilities and Instrumentation
Student Group Discussion Session II
Theme: What would a Linked-In platform created for the PREM community look like? — PREM LinkedIn Moderator: Divya Abhat (represented by Ashish Tonse, KZN Consulting)
- What can we post?
- How do we post?
- How can we join? Who can join?
- How do I reach out to others?
- What to do when others reach out to me?
Students: Set up posters
Student poster session. Best poster competition
Report on Student Session & Poster Award Ceremony
Students receive participation certificate
Report on Faculty Sessions
Faculty Network – No NSF participation.